Search Anything Below (Songs, Videos, Albums, Gqom, Amapiano)
Oxford English Dictionary has included about 29 Nigerian words and expressions in the January updates to the dictionary, most of this words are popular native Nigerian words.
“The majority of these new additions are either borrowings from Nigerian languages, or unique Nigerian coinages that have only begun to be used in English in the second half of the twentieth century, mostly in the 1970s and 1980s,” OED’s World English editor Danica Salazar said in a statement.
‘Next tomorrow,’ is one of the new entries into the dictionary. The expression is regarded as the oldest among the over 25 uniquely Nigerian words/expressions. According to Salazar, ‘next tomorrrow’ was first used in written English as a noun in 1953, and as an adverb in 1964.
Kannywood, which refers to the film industry in northern Nigeria, is deemed the youngest among the lot.
Others such as ‘buka,’ ‘bukateria’ and ‘severally’ also made the dictionary.
The full list of the new entries is below:
agric, adj. & n.
barbing salon, n.
to eat money, in eat, v.
ember months, n.
to flag off in flag, v.
mama put, n.
next tomorrow, n. & adv.
non-indigene, adj. & n.
to put to bed, in put, v.
to rub minds (together) in rub, v./1
- Breaking News! Buhari Breaks Major Record As His Name Enters English Dictionary – [SEE THE MEANING]
- List Of Compulsory Subjects In WAEC (Science & Art Students)
- Ichaba Ft Davido – Man Must Chop
- See WAEC GCE Agricultural Science Specimen 2017: Check WAEC GCE Agric Practical Full Specimen Here!
- See Full List Of Nigerian Immigration Recruitment Successful Shortlisted Candidates for Pre-Screening Exam 2017
- 15th May 2017 JAMB Exam – LIVE UPDATES
- Atletico Madrid Arrives Nigeria (Photos/Video)
- What I Call ”Iberiberism” – Okorocha (VIDEO)
- 2017 (NIS) Nigerian Immigration Recruitment Full List of Shortlisted Candidates For Pre-Screening (See How To Check Your Name)
- Federal Government Scholarship Awards Full List Of Successful Candidates Released | See Exam Dates & Centre