Palu, Tsunami Indonasia 2018: Over 832 people have died in the gigantic tsunami that rocked Palu, a region of Indonesia on Saturday.
According to the reports, the heavy Tsunami happened after the capital of Central Sulawesi province, was triggered by a 7.5 magnitude earthquake on land.
The video footage shows people screaming and running for their lives as the giant waves hit the town of 380,000 people. The city is built around a narrow bay that apparently magnified the force of the tsunami waters as they raced into the tight inlet.
Watch The Video Below…
Mr Nugroho said thousands of homes, hospitals, shopping malls and hotels have been washed away. A large bridge spanning a coastal river also collapsed. Bodies of victims trapped in the rubble are also being found and at least 350 people have been injured. Dozens of injured people are being treated in makeshift medical tents set up outdoors.
The city of Palu was hit alongside a smaller city Donggala. Power outages mean there is little information coming out of Donggala, which was just 16 miles from the epicentre of the quake. More than 600,000 people live in the cities of Palu and Donggala.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific Ring of Fire – an arc of volcanoes and fault lines – and is regularly hit by earthquakes. In August, a series of major quakes killed over 500 people in the tourist island of Lombok and destroyed dozens of villages along its northern coast.
The most devastating tsunami to hit the region came in December 2004 when a massive magnitude 9.1 earthquake off Sumatra in western Indonesia triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in a dozen countries.
- Earthquake In Delhi Current News Today 2018
- Earthquake today in Gurgaon India 2018
- 4.0 Magnitude Earthquake On Island In Bay Of Naplel Kills One Destroys Many Porperties (Photo)
- BREAKING: Gas Explosion In A Mobile Filling State Opposite Ekololu In Lagos
- Indonesia Church Explosion: 9 Persons Dead And Scores Injured
- Twin Bomb Explosion Borno Kills Many And Injured Others (More Details)
- 16 People Confirmed Dead After A Lighting Strike Seven Days Adventist Church In Rwanda