Some political thugs have attacked an aspirant’s supporters in Ondo state, setting their campaign vehicle ablaze.
Two supporters of a House of Representatives aspirant in Ondo State, Olatayo Aribo, have been allegedly attacked by some suspected hoodlums.
The political supporters were said to have been lucky to have escaped the attack believed to have been carried out by political thugs, but the branded campaign vehicle they were in was not spared as it was set ablaze by the suspected hoodlums.
According to eyewitness accounts, the suspected thugs opened fire on the vehicle when its two occupants identified as Lanre Kako and Tope, were on their way home and stopped at the post office area to buy suya between 10pm and 11pm when they were attacked.
One of the eyewitnesses who preferred anonymity stated that the vehicle was set ablaze after the two victims had escaped from the scene of the attack.
“The two men were driving one campaign vehicle and they stopped to buy suya around the post office at Owo.
“But some guys came and shot at the vehicle. They had to run away but their attackers set the vehicle on fire.
“Those around put off the fire but these boys reinforced and came back to set the vehicle on fire again,” an eyewitness stated.
According to Arobo who spoke on the incident, the police have been notified.
“We’ve reported to the police. Police were invited and they witnessed the burning of the bus.
“It is now left for the police to investigate and take action. For now, we don’t suspect anybody. We will forward a petition to the State Commissioner of Police and the state governor.
“I am sure the governor will not be happy about this. And I am sure he also will investigate and find the cause of the attack.
“If the attack came from my political opponents, my advice is that this is not the way to do it. They should go out and campaign in order to win,” he said.
Aribo is seeking the ticket of the All Progressives Congress, APC, to contest the seat of Owo/Ose federal constituency in next year’s National Assembly elections.
Confirming the attack, the Ondo State Police Public Relations Officer, Femi Joseph disclosed that investigation has commenced towards apprehending the perpetrators.
He maintained that the attack was politically motivated.
“It’s purely interparty affair. But not withstanding, whether they are of the same political family or not, we don’t condone any act of violence or thuggery.
“We have commenced investigation on the matter, whatever is the outcome we would let you know,” the PPRO stated.
- Gunshots Fired On Female Aspirant And APC Members In Akwa Ibom (Photos)
- Breaking News: Kano On Fire As Gov Ganduje Commissioner Orders Thugs To Beat Up Kwankwaso Supporters At Wedding (Photos)
- Kaduna NUJ Attack: Why The Armed Thugs Wanted To Kill Us – Senator Shehu Sani
- APC Ward Chairman Attacked & Brutally Beaten Up By Thugs In Delta State (Photos)
- Photos: Governor Fayose’s Benz G-Wagon Car Completely Burnt Down On Oshodi-Oworonshoki Expressway In Lagos
- Policeman On The Run As Thugs Storms Polling Unit During LG Election In Delta (Photos)
- PDP Chieftain, Tubotamuno Dick Shot By Unknown Gunmen, In Critical Condition (Photos)