Objectives Of Social Studies
Social studies is a part of a school or college curriculum concerned with the study of social relationships and the functioning of society and usually made up of courses in history, government, economics, civics, sociology, geography, and anthropology. It is a part of educational designed to properly provide student with the necessary knowledge and skills.
In this post, we will look at the objectives of Social studies & the importance in schools.
Lets Explain In A Bit What Social Studies Is All About
Social studies education all begins & develops right from kindergarten and into high school to help students understand their place in the world. Social Studies teaches children their roles and responsibilities particularly in relation to social and civic affairs. with the help of social studies develop critical thinking abilities, prepares them to participate competently and productively as concerned citizens and teaches them to address societal and global concerns using literature, technology and other identifiable community resources. Social studies courses include
- Political science
- Economics and civics
Social studies is an integral part in ensuring well-rounded education in the K-12 curriculum.
Social Studies is important because this is the subject that teaches the history of the world and the history of a nation. In an age where to study is seen as “old school,” the subject plays a vital and crucial role in the civic, social and intellectual development of the individual student.
Important Of Social Studies
1. It describes the importance of cultural unity and diversity within and across groups.
2. It demonstrates an understanding that different people may describe the same event or situation in diverse ways, citing reasons for the differences in views.
3. It demonstrates an understanding that people in different times and places view the world differently.
4. It helps to use appropriate resources, data sources, and geographic tools such as atlases, databases, charts, graphs, and maps to generate, manipulate, and interpret information.
5. It helps to examine the interaction of human beings and their physical environment.
6. It helps to observe and speculate about social and economic effects of environmental changes.
7. It considers existing uses; and proposes and evaluates alternative uses of resources.
8. It helps to work independently and cooperatively to accomplish goals.
9. It is useful in identifying and describing examples of tension between an individual’s beliefs and government policies and laws.
10. It helps to examine the rights and responsibilities of the individual in relation to his/her social group such as family, peer group, school and class.
11. It is useful in identifying factors that contribute to cooperation and cause disputes within and among groups and nations.
12. It ascertains and describes examples in which science and technology have changed the lives of people such as in homemaking, child care, work, transportation and communication.
13. It examines the influence of public opinion on personal decision-making and government policy on public issues.
The aim of social studies is to promote civic competence or a practical understanding of how to effectively participate in public life, ultimately aiming at a comprehensive understanding of society. It is taught to young students as a preparation for their future life.
Objectives Of Social Studies
Social Studies Curriculum is designed to enable students to:
1. Linking the disciplines of Social Studies of everyday life of individuals and communities;
2. Enhance understanding of the social system through the culture and values to create a multi-ethnic society of national integration;
3. Linking the country with a history of nation building;
4. Environmental incidents relating to the social and economic development of society;
5. Explain basic economic principles and economic activities associated with social development and nation building;
6. Applying knowledge of environmental education in the life and
7. Cultivate a spirit of patriotism.
- History Of Social Studies In Nigeria
- Is Civic Education Compulsory In WAEC
- Mzuzu university Application Forms For 2018/209 Undergraduate Admissions & List Of Courses Offered
- Ghana Institute Of Journalism 2018/2019 Undergraduate Degree Courses And Duration – (www.gij.edu.gh)
- Checkout Full List Of Delsu Cut-off Mark For All Courses 2017/18
- RELEASED: See UNN Postgraduate Screening/Entrance Examination Timetable – 2017/18
- 4 Best Online Schools In Nigeria Approved By NUC (UNIVERSITIES)