Police have carried out ‘controlled explosions’ outside the BBC’s Broadcasting House this afternoon after bomb squad officers were called in to a ‘suspicious’ van.
A police bomb robot was filmed setting off explosives at the rear of the vehicle outside the BBC offices on Portland Place, possibly blowing the locks off.
The corporation’s staff were told to stay clear of the windows as the dramatic scenes unfolded in the Marylebone area of the capital.
Officers covered in protective helmets and vests were then seen rushing in to inspect the inside of the van.
Staff at the BBC have also reported sniffer dogs being sent to the scene while multiple streets have been closed off.
The BBC buildings are currently on lockdown with staff being stuck both inside and outside.
Pam Leader said Hallam Street is also behind a police cordon.
— News This Second (@NewsThisSecond) September 3, 2018
- Breaking News: Innoson Chairman Arrested.. Gunshots Everywhere As Staff Members Protest (Photos)
- Police Respond To Hostage Situation in Paris, Man Claiming to Have Bomb
- See The Dead Bodies Of Policemen Killed By Kidnappers In Sokoto (Graphic Photo)
- Riot In Kogi As Students Blocks Road Over The Fatal Accident Involving A Dangote Truck That Killed 5 People (Photos)
- BREAKING: Herdsman Kill Police Inspector In Kebbi
- Bomb Explosion Hits Maiduguri After 2 Suicide Bombers Attack Muna Garage, Many Feared Dead
- 8 Lagos State Police Officers Sacked For Serious Criminal Offences