Billionaire Founder of Microsoft Corporation, Bill Gates, during his speech in the Presidential villa on Thursday, said Nigeria is one of the most dangerous places in the world to give birth.
Speaking at the expanded national economic council presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Thursday, Bill Gates who faulted the ERGP, a medium-term document launched by President Muhammadu Buhari administration in 2017 to restore the nation’s economic status after it was hit by its worst recession in 29 years, said;
“Nigeria is one of the most dangerous places in the world to give birth with the fourth worst maternal mortality rate in the world ahead of only Sierra Leone, Central African Republic and Chad. One in three Nigerian children is chronically malnourished,” he said.
“The Nigerian government’s economic recovery and growth plan identify investing in our people as one of three strategic objectives. But the execution priorities don’t fully reflect people’s needs, prioritizing physical capital over human capital.
“To anchor the economy over the long term, investments in infrastructure and competitiveness must go hand in hand with investments in people.
“People without roads, ports, and factories can’t flourish. And roads, ports and factories without skilled workers to build and manage them can’t sustain an economy.”
He said the biggest African office of his foundation is in Nigeria, adding that the organisation has committed over $1.6 billion with intentions of increasing the commitment. Gates said addressing the issue of stunted growth, will add $30 billion to the GDP annually.
“The most important choice you can make is to maximize your greatest resource, the Nigerian people. Nigeria will thrive when every Nigerian is able to thrive,” he continued.
“If you invest in their health, education and opportunities, the human capital we are talking about today then; that will lay the foundation for sustained prosperity.
“If you don’t, however, then it is very important to recognise that there will be a sharp limit on how much the country can grow.”
- Libya Slavery: Not Every Black Man Is A Nigerian… Some Claim To Be Because They Have Destroyed The Travel Papers – Buhari
- Mugabe Caught Sleeping While Important Issues Were Being Discussed (Photos)
- South African Must Not Kill A Nigerian & A Nigerian Must Not Kill A South African – Jacob Zuma
- Edo Governor Obaseki Presents N146bn 2018 Budget Estimates And Appropriate Bill… Tags It ”Budget Of Growth”
- Zimbawe Is More Developed Than Nigeria, Other African Countries – Robert Mugabe
- You Are A Liar From The Pit Of Hell – Joe Igbokwe To Goodluck Jonathan
- See Where Emmanuel Macron Worked In Nigeria