See The Biggest Barrack In Nigeria
May be you haven’t heard about Dodan Barracks situated in Lagos state. Nigeria has numerous army barracks across the nation but Dodan barracks stands out among them.
Many people do ask online; ”Is Dodan Barrack the Biggest Army Barrack In Nigeria?.
Today we got your answers here.
Dodan Barracks is the biggest army barrack in Nigeria occupying a large area located off Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria. Dodan Barracks was the residence of the heads of state of various Military Governments in Nigeria, and also the Supreme Military Headquarters from 1966 until the move to Abuja in 1991. The name “Dodan” originated from the site of a battle fought during the Second World War by the 82nd West African Division in Burma
The Dodan Barracks was one of the bases of a group of army majors who attempted a coup against the civilian government in January 1966. The coup was suppressed by the army, whose commander, Major General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi, then became head of state. In July 1966 the Dodan Barracks became the seat of power in Nigeria after a counter-coup in which Ironsi was killed and his Chief of Staff, General Yakubu Gowon was made head of state, moving into the Federal Guard officer’s mess.
The Barracks was the location where Gowon received the formal Biafran surrender at the end of the Nigerian Civil War in January 1970. Subsequent rulers kept their base at the barracks for the next quarter of a century
- List Of 40 Army Barracks In Nigeria
- How Many Army Barracks Are In Nigeria
- Why I Refused To Make Jos, Plateau The Capital Of Nigeria In 1966 – Gowon Finally Opens Up
- Which Major Change Took Place In Nigeria In 1999?
- Who Is The First Vice President Of Nigeria?
- Nigeria’s Ex-army Chief, David Ejoor Has Passed Away
- Oh No!! Former Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Victor Malu Is Dead