Sex workers in Anambra State have attacked the Governor of the state, Governor Obiano, for giving directives to demolish the shanties located in different parts of the state.
The Anambra State Government’s move to restructure some major parts of the state has led to the demolition of illegal structures on the Onitsha/Enugu Expressway and this has displaced some sex workers. Urchins that specialise in snatching items belonging to other people were also dislodged from the location.
Speaking with journalists on Friday, the leader of the sex workers in the area, who identified herself as Linda, berated the state governor, Chief Willie Obiano, for even thinking of approving the demolition process.
She said, “So, this place has suddenly become ‘illegal structures’? This was where we voted for Obiano in the November 18 election.
“Why didn’t they demolish the so-called shanties before the election? The governor did not even consider giving us a notice before carrying this action. This is inhuman. We are human beings and we have the rights to shelter.
“But one thing is clear, nobody can force us out of this place. We shall obtain approved plans and build here. Nobody can render us homeless and jobless.”
The demolished structures cut across both lanes of the highway in the toll gate area of the commercial city.
The Physical Planning Board, Head of Development Control, Army, Police, the Operation Clean and Healthy Anambra Brigade among others, were directed by Governor Obiano to rid the state of illegal structures and shanties.
The Security Adviser to the governor, Chief Chikodi Anara, confirmed the demolition, stressing that the occupants polluted and defaced the area with human waste and other materials.
The General Manager, Anambra State Physical Planning Board, Mrs. Ngozi Atisele and the Head of Development Control, Awka Capital Authority, Mr. Victor Okpoko, explained that the shanties were demolished as they pose a kind of security threat to the citizens of the state resident in the area.
The state government advised those still living in the shanties spread across different major cities ofthe state such as Awka, Onitsha, Nnewi and other areas to relocate as government would no longer tolerate such structures in the state.
- Woman Drinks To Stupor Because Governor Obiano Demolished Her Shop In Nnewi (Photos)
- November 17 Declared Public Holiday In Anambra State
- Meet Bonaventure Enemali, Igala Man Appointed As Commissioner In Anambra State (Photos)
- Good Move! China Plans Visa Office In Anambra As Chinese Deputy Consul-General Visit Obiano
- EXPOSED!! ”Kwata” A Popular Anambra Abattoir Where Butchers Sell Poison In Name Of Meat
- Ozubulu Aanambra Gunmen Attack: See What Really Happened As Governor Obiano Storms The Scene (Photos)
- Biafra: We Cannot Allow Nnamdi Kanu To Come & Invade Our Peaceful State – Gov. Obiano