Atiku condemns killings, says Nigeria’s diversity, its strength.
Abuja, Nigeria, 03 January, 2018: Former Vice President of Nigeria and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar has described as unacceptable the cycle of blood-letting that has led to the loss of precious lives across the country.
Atiku Abubakar made the charge against the backdrop of recent killings in Rivers, Kaduna, Benue and other parts of the country including the Wednesday early morning suicide bombing attack, at Gamboru Mosque in Borno, barely three days into the New Year.
The Waziri Adamawa, according to a statement by his media office in Abuja on Wednesday, said the killings in those states, and other senseless killings and reprisal blood-letting that has preceded them in the past across our country is ungodly, a throwback to the stone age, and a hindrance to the promotion of peace and unity in the country.
Atiku Abubakar stressed that the diversity of Nigeria remains one of its strongest points, reminding leaders of all persuasion and at all levels to ensure that they promote the things that unite us rather than those that create divisions.
“That the Almighty in His Wisdom made us a nation of different tongues and tribes; made us Africa’s most populous nation with more than 300 tribes is no accident. If well enhanced, our diversity should be our biggest strength.
“There cannot be development when innocent lives are being lost in a seeming endless cycle of attacks and reprisals. While we should hold every life as precious, it is more painful that the victims of these attacks are women and youths – the demography that we depend upon to drive development.”
Atiku Abubakar urged Nigerians to use the opportunity of the New Year to reflect on these needless killings and to resolve to live in peace and harmony.
He prays for fortitude to the bereaved families.
61, Ebitu Ukiwe Street
- Igbo Peace Movement And Arewa Groups Finally Reached An Agreement To Build Peace in Nigeria (Photos)
- Meet Kamaludden Bashir, The Man Who Trekked For Atiku From Zaria To Abuja (Photos)
- There Can Be No Division In Nigeria, We Must Be United – Osinbajo
- Fulani Herdsmen: Nigerian Politicians Are Always Looking For The Next Election Whether People Are Dying Or Not – Bishop Oyedepo
- Atiku Is The Type Of Leader Nigeria Needs – Ben Bruce
- Breaking: Atiku Missing As Buhari Arrives Peace Pact Venue
- He Has No Business, Not An Employer Of Labour, No Educational Institution – Atiku Attacks Buhari For Saying Nigerian Youths Are Lazy