A video recorded in 2011 showing the illegitimate use of the ICRC emblem on storage trunks holding cash has popped up on social media periodically over the last two years, including in early 2018. We want the following to be understood clearly: The ICRC has nothing whatsoever to do with the storage or transport of cash alleged by this video and we strongly condemn the misuse of our name and logo in this manner.
The misuse of the ICRC emblem in the video is a dangerous abuse of ICRC’s name and the particular meaning and purpose of the Red Cross emblem, which is the visible sign of the protection conferred by the Geneva Conventions to the victims of armed conflicts. The video fuels false conspiracy theories, such as money laundering, that harm the reputation the organization has built by assisting people affected by war over the last 155 years. Though we are not aware of any incidents as a result of this video, we are concerned about the impact such a blatant abuse of the emblem may have on the security of our staff and activities in the countries where we operate, where trust by all sides is essential to protect our staff and enable our humanitarian action towards those most in need.
The ICRC is a strictly neutral, independent and impartial humanitarian organization that seeks to protect and assist people affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence.
- Nov 18: The Only Reason Why They Want You To Vote Is Because Of The Monthly Allocation So That They Can Keep Sharing Money Every Month – Nnamdi Kanu
- Read What President Buhari Said About Benue Flooding
- Ozubulu Attack: Ohanaeze Is Responsible For The Death Of People – Nnamdi Kanu
- Biafra: IPOB Will Never Be Armed Group – Nnamdi Kanu
- Ekiti Election Update: ‘FG Moves N18bn Cash Through Akure Airport’ – Lere Olayinka (Photos)
- Biafra: No Part Of Nigeria Will Divide – NAF To Agitators
- Biafra: ”Nnamdi Kanu Came From Nowhere, Within 1 Year He Suddenly Became Popular” – Arewa Youths Leader, Yerima Sheriff