Nigeria News headline topics as today unfolds….
1. Youths in their hundreds, yesterday brought commercial activities in Makurdi, the Benue State capital to a halt in protest against the killings of people of the state by Fulani herdsmen.
The youths, who converged at the popular Food Basket Roundabout in Wurukum, Makurdi, the state capital asked President Muhammadu Buhari to “act now or resign.”
2. President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday ordered security agencies to do “everything possible” to arrest those behind the killing of residents of Benue State.
While expressing immense sadness at the “wicked and callous” attacks on “even innocent children,” the President assured the governor and people of the state that “relevant security agencies have been directed to do everything possible to arrest those behind the regrettable incidents and avert further attacks.”
3. A national leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Ahmed Bolaji Tinubu, has reportedly told President Muhammadu Buhari that the condition for supporting him (Buhari) ahead 2019 general elections would be renegotiated.
Report says that Tinubu told Buhari that him and his loyalists in the South-west were ready to back Buhari’s re-election bid, but that the condition for their support would be different this time around.
4. Ahead of the 2019 general elections, over 10 Arewa Youth groups have declared support for the next Nigeria President to come from the South-East.
The groups, including Arewa Youth Forum, Arewa Youths Coalition for Peace, Northern Central Youth Club and Youths for One Nigeria made the declaration in Imo State yesterday during a youth summit, said the decision would engender national unity and cohesion.
5. Ten persons were reportedly killed in an early morning suicide bomb attack at Gamboru town in Gamboru-Ngala Local Government Area of Borno State.