The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) observes that today’s holiday fully consolidated the two-day Christmas holiday and enabled Nigerian Christians to kick off the 2018 Christo-Western Gregorian calendar
However, conscious Nigerian Muslims, particularly stakeholders in the welfare of Muslims as well as the growth and development of Islam in Nigeria, approached today’s holiday with mixed feelings. First and foremost, we express happiness for our Christian neighbours who were able to spend the day giving full practice, expression and manifestation of their faith. On the other hand, we experienced a feeling of despair, isolation and marginalization. Our feeling of marginalization arises from the reality of the Nigerian situation which has conditioned Muslims in the country for religious segregation and subjected them to spiritual apartheid.
Here we are today, enjoying January 1st holiday which was declared by the Federal Government (FG) of Nigeria in recognition of the Christo-Western Gregorian calendar. But the same FG which recognizes this Christian calendar is yet to declare 1st Muharram a public holiday in recognition of the Islamic calendar despite several petitions and appeals to it dating back to the 60s. Surprisingly, some people still complain that Nigeria is Islamised!
Professor Ishaq Akintola,
Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC)
- You Have Lost Your Mind… Don’t Expect Any Muslim To Vote You In Any Public Office – MURIC Fires Fani Kayode
- 2018 Public Holidays In Nigeria (Jan – December)
- Heads Must Roll If Anything Happens To EFCC Boss, Magu – Muslim Group Declares
- We Must Curse Those Looting Nigeria’s Money 3 Times Daily – MURIC Tells Nigerians
- How Can We Say Nigeria Is Free When, Since Buhari Took Over, Any Mention Of Jesus Or God Is Censored Out Of Nigerian Films Whilst The Word Allah Is Mentioned – Fani Kayode
- Is June 12 A Public Holiday In Nigeria – Find Out Here!!
- BOMBSHELL! “I Will Kill Any Useless Christian Called A Biafran In Kaduna” – Northern Man Vows (Photos)