Former Abia State governor, Orji Kalu, says the All Progressives Congress (APC) will force President Muhammadu Buhari recontest election in 2019.
The former governor, who said this during his appearance on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, was of the opinion that it was the President’s entitlement to run for a second term.
“President Buhari will run for re-election, not a must but he is going to run. He has to run (and if he says he is not running), we will force him to run,” he said.
Amid speculations whether the President would declare his intention for a re-election, Kalu insisted that it was irrelevant.
He said that former presidents before his administration all re-contested elections, adding that Buhari’s case would not be an exception.
He said: “Whether he declares or not, it is immaterial. All I know is that APC will have a lot of candidates in 2019 and President Buhari will be running for re-election.
“He has to run; he is the President of Nigeria and he is healthy, what will stop him not to run? He is a capable man, so he will be running with the other candidates who want to run in the APC.”
The former governor also faulted rumours that the President would be imposed on other party members who might be aspiring to contest the presidential election.
He said he was very sure that President Buhari would never support such decision or move, adding that he is a man who would want to test his popularity.
The APC chieftain said, “Even President Buhari himself will reject an automatic ticket, he’s a Democrat to the heart. He will like to see his popularity being tested.
“He’s not afraid of any candidate coming to run, he is willing to challenge any candidate to challenge him in the primaries. I believe he is still the presidential candidate who has 10 million people behind him and he is not threatened.
“So if you conduct the election tomorrow, 10 million voters will follow him unasked for and he will make a good show in all parts of the South East.”
- 2019: Buhari Will Like His Popularity To Be Tested.. He Is Not Afraid Of Any Candidate – Kalu
- No Igbo President In 2023, If Buhari Is Not Re-elected – Orji Uzor Kalu
- 2019: Orji Uzor Kalu For Senate (Campaign Photo)
- I Was The First Governor That Declared June 12 Public Holiday – Orji Uzor Kalu
- 2019: Atiku Picks Former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi As His Running Mate
- 2019: See The Moment President Buhari Arrived Benin, Edo State
- Buhari Is Running For Chief Imam Of Northern Nigeria – Reno Omokri