The Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, on Friday reacted to the exit of former vice president Atiku Abubakar from Nigeria’s ruling party, APC.
Mr. El-Rufai, a leader of the APC, who spoke to newsmen after the Friday Jumat prayer at the mosque in the Presidential Villa, Abuja described Atiku as s serial contestant.
Here are questions asked to Mr. El-Rufai and his answers below.
Q: How do you feel that Atiku has left the party that you are in together?
El-Rufai: Well, I won’t even say we were in the APC together. Some of us formed the APC, some of them joined because they thought that the APC was a platform for which they will contest election but when they didn’t get the opportunity they started looking around.
I have heard about what the former Vice President said about leaving the APC. We knew he was going to leave in December but he has left in November which is good because the earlier he leaves for where he belongs, the better. He has changed political parties a few times, there is nothing surprising. Before the 2019 elections if situation changes and he thinks he can get the ticket in 2019 he will come back. That is what he has done a few times.
Q: Some are saying you people have driven him out of the party?
El-Rufai: No one has driven him out of the party, the APC is an equal opportunity platform for everyone. He has in his statement of leaving the party made reference to the memo I wrote to Mr. President in September 2016, where I was calling on the President to reach out to party leaders that feel aggrieved and I mentioned him, the Asiwaju and many others. The others are still in the APC because they believe in the direction of the party, they believe we have come to save the country from a very bad situation. But the former Vice President is always looking for an opportunity to contest. He is a serial contestant and we wish him luck.
- For Attacking Atiku, Nigerians Dug Up Photo Of El-rufai Kneeling Before Atiku
- 2019: I Will Run For Presidency Not Atiku’s VP – Fayose
- Buhari Would Win Atiku Anywhere, Any Day, Anytime – Unongo
- I Swear If Buhari Contest In 2019.. I Will Vote For Atiku – Minister of Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan
- Atiku: It Is Not In Interest Of The Igbos For Another New Hausa-Fulani Man To Become President In 2019 – NBA VP, Ubani
- Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar Reportedly Barred From Voting And Kept On Probation at PDP Convention
- Breaking News!! Atiku Dumps APC, Calls It ”A Dying Party”