The World Health Organization (WHO) is the United Nations organization that specialized in public health. Our goal is to build a better, healthier future for people all over Nigeria. Working through offices in in all 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), WHO staff work side by side with governments and other partners to ensure the highest attainable level of health for all people. Together we strive to combat diseases – infectious diseases like tuberculosis, polio, influenza and HIV and non-communicable ones like cancer and heart disease.WHO’s Speechwriter intern is responsible for developing high-impact communications for the WHO Country Representative (WR). This internship requires strategic thinking with the ability to deliver consistently high quality, well-written, thought-provoking materials under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Support the WR through drafting of speeches and articles, consistently ensuring a high level of accuracy and flexibility in creating, writing, and adapting content and presentation for a wide variety of audiences;
- Undertaking original research on a range of development topics including within the context of UN system and Country Cooperation Strategy, South-South and triangular strategies of UN system partners, universal health coverage, climate change, equity and health security) as needed to substantively inform the speechwriting process;
- Analyzing complex information, including statistics, financial information and other numerical, qualitative and quantitative data, to extract key messages for integration into speeches, and other communications materials as required;
- Researching audience expectations, event agenda and topics, and assist in focusing the purpose of each speech to tailor messages for maximum audience appeal and impact;
- Drafting other substantive written material for the Office of the WR as requested, including statements, briefings, op-eds, opinions, articles, talking points, key messages and other written communications. This may include targeted messages for internal communications within the United Nations or for specific stakeholders and partners;
- Maintaining an up-to-date archive of speeches and data on the WHO website;
- Extracting key messages from speeches/presentations/articles for dissemination through social media channels, in close collaboration with the Communications Officer;
- The Speechwriter will be part of a communications team in WCO Nigeria, and will report to the WR (Communication officer).
EducationRequired Skills and Experience
- Qualified/suitable intern from the field of journalism, communications, sustainable development, social science, international relations or related field with the following academic qualifications: (a) enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); graduated with a university degree as defined in (a) and (b) above and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year after the graduation.
- Excellent general understanding of public health, gender, equity and other related issues;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Experience working with the Microsoft Office suite, and particularly in development of Powerpoint presentation materials;
- Familiarity with the UN system in general and/or WHO in particular are an asset.
- Proficiency in English;
- Knowledge of one of the other five official languages of the UN (French, Portuguese and Spanish) would be an asset.
- Have a good understanding of strategic communication and how it can contribute to the achievement of specific development goals;
- Possess excellent writing skills;
- Be able to write quickly, clearly and concisely;
- Ability to originate or edit written content for media and the general public;
- Knowledge of analytical tools and methods for undertaking substantive research on various policy related issues;
- Ability to engage with other parties and forge productive working relationships;
- Have an understanding of, and experience with the major social media channels;
- Be familiar with global development issues and the world of the UN.
Additional InformationPlease note that internships at WHO are very competitive and only a small number of applicants will be accepted each year. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
- All internships at WHO are unpaid and full-time.
- The duration of WHO internships is between six weeks and six months, depending on the requirements of the programme.
- Interns are NOT eligible for appointment to any position in WHO for a period of three months following the end of the internship.
Notes All applications for WHO Internships are acknowledged when received and if the applicant passes the initial screening will be made available to technical units for review.If selected for a WHO Internship, you will be required to provide certified copies of proof of enrolment in a course of study and proof of personal medical insurance (illness) coverage.An important reminder: WHO Internships are not paid. Living abroad is expensive. All intern candidates should be aware of these factors before they consider applying for a WHO Internship. WHO does not provide financial support and interns are encouraged to seek funding from other external sources.Please note: WHO does not charge for internships.
- Nonprofit Organization Management
- Financial Services
- Hospital & Health Care
- Public Relations
Method Of Application
Interested Candidates Should Click HERE to Apply
Application Deadline/Closing Date: Nov 10, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
- Public Service Commission Kenya Internship Recruitment 2018/2019 – Apply [www.publicservice.go.ke]
- How To Apply For Ongoing African Development Bank Internship Programme 2017 – wwq.afdb.org
- Apply For 2017 Recruitment At AFENET – Director, Program
- Apply For Current Job Vacancy At KPMG Nigeria
- Apply For PMC Nigeria Limited Internship Programme 2017
- Apply For CornerStone Staffing Fresh Graduate Summer Internship Programme 2017
- Apply For Social Media Assistants At World Health Organisation (WHO)