Three police officers were Wednesday morning killed and two others injured when their vehicle ran over an Improvised Explosive Device in Kulan, Liboi area, Garissa County.
Three other officers escaped unhurt in the incident that happened at about 6 am. Police said the vehicle belonging to Kulan police post was racing towards Liboi border when it was hit by the explosive devise set by Al-Shabaab terrorists. The Kenya Red cross said it was responding to the incident.
“Vehicle hits a landmine leaving 8 injured between Liboi and Kulan, Garissa County,” said a tweet by Kenye Red Cross. ALSO READ: Manchester concert suicide attack prompts security rethinks worldwide North Eastern regional coordinator Mohamud Saleh said they were yet to get those behind the incident. “Some criminals set up a landmine on a road used by many vehicles and it hit a police vehicle.
We have casualties,” he said. He added they had scaled up operations in the area following renewed attacks by the terrorists in which at least ten people have died in the last week. The incident came a day after Inspector General of police Joseph Boinnet said Al-Shabaab terrorists are under pressure inside Somalia and are escaping to Kenya with an intention to staging attacks. “These groups are dispatching operatives into parts of Northern Eastern Region to lay IEDs along the routes used by our security patrols in efforts to frustrate our security operations at the border areas,” said Boinnet.
He said there is the real risk of local operatives attempting to stage copycat attacks in Kenya following an IED attack in Manchester, UK. ALSO READ: One killed after vehicle runs over explosive in Mandera Boinnet urged for public help to contain any planned attack. He appealed for vigilance in public service vehicles, churches, hotels and airports. Terrorists have in the last two weeks been blasting vehicles in parts of North Eastern, which has claimed at least ten lives.
- Terror Attack Germany Today: Several Dead, 30 Injured
- Is It True That British-born Abedi Is The Bomber Behind Manchester Nail Bomb Attack (Photo)
- What Is Happening In Dusit Hotel Westlands at 14 Riverside In Nairobi Kenya
- BLACK SUNDAY!! Over 30 People Confirmed Dead In Kenya Bus Crash (Photos)
- Ghastly Motor Accident In Nkawkaw Ghana Kills 10 People After A Yutong Bus Rammed Into Incoming Vehicle
- Graphic Pictures Of Six People Killed By Gunmen At A Mosque In Zamfara State
- Scores Feared Dead As Boko Haram Attacks Nyibango & Muduhu In Adamawa