Nigeria is blessed with lots of agricultural products & natural resources. The Nigeria agricultural sector serves as one of the major sector in Nigeria’s economy. Nigeria as well has rich natural resources and it’s economy highly depends on these resources to thrive. The natural resources has benefited the country a lot in so many ways & areas.
Before we proceed lets first explain what is natural resources.
What Is Natural Resources?
Natural resources can be defined as as resources that exist without actions of human being. Natural resources may be further classified in different ways. Natural resources are materials and components (something that can be used) that can be found within the environment. Every man-made product is composed of natural resources (at its fundamental level). A natural resource may exist as a separate entity such as fresh water, air, and as well as a living organism such as a fish, or it may exist in an alternate form that must be processed to obtain the resource such as metal ores, rare earth metals, petroleum, and most forms of energy.
Major Traditional Crops In Nigeria
Years past Nigeria was well know worldwide for the export of groundnut and palm kernel oil. Nigeria products is divided into two main groups: Exports & Food Crops Produced For Consumption.
Below are the main traditional crops in Nigeria..
- Cashew nuts
- Cocoa beans
- Gum arabic
- Maize (corn)
- Palm Kernels
- Palm Oil
Natural Resources In Nigeria
Natural resources can be classified in different ways. Natural resources are classified as follows below.
Renewable and Non-renewable resources
Renewable resources:- Renewable resources are animal and plants.
Non-renewable resources:- Non-renewable resources are minerals, soils and fossil fuel which are usually found in a very limited amount and Earth takes ages to produce the new resources.
According to it’s classifications, there are Mineral and agricultural resources. continue reading below as we explain them in details.
You can have below the list of mineral resources in Nigeria and where you can locate or find them across the states.
- Bitumen – Lagos, Edo, Ondo, Ogun.
- Coal – Ondo, Enugu.
- Oil and gas – Akwa Ibom, Abia, Bayelsa, Edo, Delta, Rivers, Imo.
- Gold – Edo, Ebonyi, Kaduna, Ijesha, Oyo.
- Iron ore – Benue, Anambra, Kogi State, Kwara, Delta State.
- Lead and zinc – Ebonyi, Benue, Ogoja, Kano.
- Salt – Akwa Ibom, Abia, Ebonyi, Cross River.
- Tin – Jos, Bauchi.
- Cocoa – Edo, Anambra, Imo, Kwara, Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Oyo.
- Coffee – Kwara, Bauchi, Osun.
- Cotton – Katsina, Kano, Niger, Kwara, Sokoto.
- Groundnut – Ebonyi, Katsina, Sokoto, Kano, Niger.
- Kola nut – Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Kwara.
- Oil palm – Akwa Ibom, Imo, Anambra, Oyo, Aba.
- Plantain – Ogun, Oyo, Osun.
- Rubber – Delta, Cross River, Ogun, Edo.
- Sugarcane – Sokoto.
- Timber – Edo, Ogun, Delta.